Waking up to a blaring alarm clock can be tough, especially if you have nothing to look forward to except getting straight to work. Find out how successful people start their mornings so that you can learn to enjoy the day from the moment you open your eyes.
- Choose a peaceful alarm. Instead of waking up to a buzzing or beeping noise that you dread every morning, try picking a sound that is soothing. Set your alarm to your favorite radio station or peaceful melody. This will wake you up in a calming way, allowing you to accept the fact that you have to get out of bed.
- Avoid the snooze button. It will be difficult, but it will all be worth it in the end. Pressing the snooze button every 10 minutes can actually disrupt your sleep cycle and start your day off negatively. Avoid the snooze button altogether by setting your alarm at the specific time you must wake up, and plan to get out of bed right away.
- Check your emails later. Put off the use of technology until after your morning routine is over. Give yourself a chance to wake up and get prepared for the day before you go straight to using technology and looking at a screen. It can be hard to break the habit of checking your emails or social media notifications right away, so don’t give up!
- Stretch. While you’re still in bed, or even after you stand up, slowly stretch your muscles and get ready for what’s to come. After a deep sleep, stretching will help to refresh you and prepare you for the rest of the day.
- Think of something you’re grateful for. Begin your day in a positive light by thinking of something you’re thankful for. This will put you in a good mood and give you an opportunity to ride that positive feeling as long as possible.
- Light up your room. You can do this by turning on the lights or opening your curtains, which will let your body know that it’s time to wake up.
- Exercise. Working out before breakfast is something that many successful people do. Daily exercise is important for many different reasons, as it benefits your health greatly. To maintain not only a strong and fit body, but also a healthy mindset, get in the habit of exercising every morning.
- Add protein to your breakfast. Instead of eating purely carbs or dairy, add some protein to the first meal of the day. A healthy breakfast is essential, and protein will give you the energy you need for a productive day.
- Drink a glass of water. Instead of a cup of coffee, consider switching to water. Water will fuel your organs and muscles, hydrating you after a long night of sleep.
- Confirm your goals for the day. Whether you have to create a list of things to do, or reflect on the to-do list you created the night before, confirming your goals for the day will help to point you in the right direction. Limit the number of goals to give you a reasonable amount of time to complete each one. For example, choose three things you plan to accomplish by the end of the day.
Of course, there are many apps that can assist you with your morning ritual – alarm clocks that wake you up at the proper time during your sleep cycle, health and fitness apps to keep track of your exercise and calorie intake, and many more. Making a few small changes to your morning routine can make all the difference and transform your day to one filled with positivity and productivity.
By Samantha Haupt